Frequently Asked Questions
We schedule all jobs in the order in which we receive signed contracts- unless customers request a time beyond our current backlog. Of all construction projects, roofing is the most affected by weather and therefore precise scheduling is always difficult. We will contact you 3 to 5 business days in advance to confirm the starting date of your job.
We roof all year round, but in order to ensure quality service, Lange Roofing watches the weather very closely. We never tear off with a chance of rain/snow in the forecast, and when we leave at night your roof is completely water tight.
The price of a new roof varies widely, depending on the materials selected, the home itself, local labor rates, time of year, and more. To get a good idea on how much your new roof will cost, we are available to come out and give you a free estimate and we would be happy to go over the estimate with you so you completely understand everything stated in the proposal. Keep in mind that cost is only one factor, and it must be balanced against the quality of the materials and workmanship. For each roofing material there are different grades- and corresponding prices. Plus, there are a variety of styles and shapes. You need to look at the full product range and make a choice based on your budget and needs. Within the roofing profession there are different levels of expertise and craftsmanship.
Not necessarily. There is a possibility you may only need some repair work. Call our office and find out how you can save money by doing a simple repair versus replacing the whole roof.
In most cases, to tear off and replace a roof, takes a minimum of two days. For a roof over, the job takes a minimum of one and a half days. All of this is depending on how big the roof is.
Ice dams are when a snow load melts on a roof and re-freezes at the eave areas. Ice dams force water to “Back-up” a roof and cause leakage. Timothy Larson, Lewis Hendricks, and Patrick Heulman from the University of Minnesota Extension Service, elaborate in great detail about ice dams, how they occur, and how to deal with or prevent them. To learn more, click here to view their article “Ice Dams”.
Organic shingles are asphalt shingles made on an organic mat that are typically made from recycled paper that is formed into rolls of felt mats. Organic shingles are often mistakenly called “asphalt” shingles, but there is asphalt in both organic and fiberglass shingles. The difference being that organic shingles need to rely on more asphalt to strengthen the mat.
Lange Roofing prefers to use fiberglass shingles from GAF. 1) They provide a longer life time than organic shingles. The average warranty for shingles used to be only 15-20 years, but with fiberglass, we now have some 50 year and limited lifetime warranty shingles. 2) Fiberglass shingles provide a long term protection in all climates, performing well in both extreme heat and cold.
In certain moist areas, algae can grow on shingles. Although the algae has no proven effect on shingle life, it does stain or discolor the shingles. Commonly (and usually incorrectly) called fungus, this algae staining can be unattractive. The algae-containing stains can be dramatically reduced by the use of special copper granules.
Moss is not fungus. Moss is the green spongy stuff that grows on the north side of trees and on the ground in shaded, damp areas. And in some areas it also grows on roof shingle.
What Can I Expect ?
Below are some things you can expect while we are working on your home
- Please be aware, tearing off a roof is a form of demolition. Therefore, you can expect some vibration, noise, and possibly some dust. Prior to our arrival, we ask that you remove any fragile or delicate items that may fall from shelves, walls and ceilings from vibration.
- Please take the same precautions in your garage. You will want to removed your car from the garage on a daily basis as we will require use of the drive way.
- We may require access to a power source for our equipment such as electric saws, etc.
- Upon arrival, our crew will do a site inspection. Patio furniture, grills, play-sets and potted plants will be moved out of harms way.
- Landscaping, shrubbery, etc in the fall zone will be protected with tarps.
- All roofing debris will be removed from the site on a daily basis.
- Satellite dishes and antennas will be removed and replaced in the same location to allow for the roofing process. LANGE ROOFING INC. is not responsible for reception. If professional alignment is required, it is the responsibility of the homeowner.
- All hard surfaces (driveways and sidewalks) will be swept on a daily basis.
- The entire work area will be magnet swept upon completion. WE ASK THAT, IF POSSIBLE, YOU CUT THE GRASS THE DAY BEFORE OUR SCHEDULED START DATE.
- All gutters in the work area will be cleaned of all roof related debris.
- If you are eligible for the GAF Smart Choice System Plus Warranty, we will register your information with GAF online within 45 days from installation and GAF will send you a notification letter that your warranty has been registered. If you have not received your notification letter from GAF within 60 days from installation, please contact Lange Roofing Inc. and we will contact GAF to confirm that they have registered your information accordingly.
- 5yr. Limited Workmanship Warranty is effective once Lange Roofing Inc. has received full payment for your installation.
- All other manufacturer warranties do not require registration.